Sometimes I feel like I repeat myself over and over talking about how I painted something. So, the end of this blog post will contain a quick "how to" because quite frankly I bore myself and I must bore some of you!
I am working on the final touches around my shop and of course I want it to be super cozy. I believe that you can't go wrong decorating with old books so I have been trying to find places to "stash" my collection. The salvaged wood shelf in the top of this picture was the perfect spot. It really cozies up this little corner.
Are you wondering about the old bed spring in the background? I scored it at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $10 and I will eventually find a purpose for it.
The top of this dresser is painted in Miss Mustard Seed's Milk paint in Curio and the rest is painted in Tricycle.
And this is why I love milk paint so much! Although the results are sometimes a little unpredictable, each and every time I use milk paint I love the results! The texture on this dresser is nothing short of spectacular.
Of course I can't take credit for that, the milk paint did just did it's "thing" and decided to randomly crackle, creating the most beautiful textures.
In some areas the red is more vibrant than other areas. In the spots on the dresser where it was scuffed or scratched down to the raw wood (light coloured), the red is more vibrant. In the spots where the dresser was still dark brown the red is much darker. Personally, I love the variations on the red, but if you wanted the red to be consistent throughout, you could use Miss Mustard Seed's Antiquing Wax to tone down the brighter areas. I decided to just go with it.
If you know me, you are well aware that I love anything old and tattered. You know, things that tell a story. I wonder what was kept in this well worn leather box? I think it must have contained love letters, don't you? I'm going with that story. I love a good romance.
Here's the before and after shot! One of the original knobs was missing, so I stole four knobs off another dresser and used four of the original knobs. It's a cycle - stealing knobs from one piece of furniture to use on another piece. Hah! I knew being a furniture hoarder was a good thing!
Products used for this project:
100 grit and 220 grit sandpaper
Before painting, I lightly sanded the entire dresser with 100 grit sandpaper to knock down the shiny spots and then wiped off the dust. I then applied the Wax Puck to the areas there I wanted to distress easily once it was painted.
The top of the dresser was painted in Curio. I did not use bonding agent because the top was sanded down to the raw wood (by the previous owner). One coat of Curio (mixed quite thick) was all I used.
The rest of the dresser was painted in Tricycle mixed with Bonding Agent. I painted two coats and liked that some of the dark brown still showed through, so I called it quits!
The entire dresser was then sanded with 220 grit sandpaper. In some areas I sanded a little heavier to distress it. I then used a shop vac to remove the dust.
I then applied one coat of Hemp Oil.
My helper, Gillian, just finished painting her first huge piece of furniture. It turned out amazing! This is the before shot and I am anxious to show you the after shot. Coming soon ...